The Stockyards Hotel dates back to the turn of the century. In 1904 Colonel T.M. Thannisch, one of North Fort Worth’s early developers and entrepreneurs, purchased the property situated on the corner of North Main and East Exchange. Colonel Thannisch built a two-story frame building with balconies on the west and south sides of the structure. The building was the largest individually owned and commercial structure to be erected on Exchange Avenue, housing the Stock Yards Club Saloon and Billiard parlor in the western portion, with furnished rooms for rent located on the second floor.
Entrance to these businesses was on the southwest corner facing the intersection of Main and Exchange. An assortment of businesses including a barber shop, confectionary shop, real estate and insurance firms, and a restaurant were located in the eastern portion of the building, their entrance facing Exchange. In December 1906, Colonel Thannisch began constructing a three-story brick building on the far eastern portion of his property to house a hotel. This structure exists today. The building abutted the east wall of his wooden structure. Work was completed in March, 1907. Housed in the new building were a hotel, restaurant, physician’s offices, a contractor and the Club Bar. The lobby and offices were on the street level, with rooms on the second and third floors.
The original wooden structure to the west was retained as a commercial property until 1913 when the building was demolished by Colonel Thannisch and replaced with a new brick addition. The new three-story addition with a basement was attached to the existing three-story brick building, and was completed before the latter part of 1913. The addition was constructed to appear uniform with the existing structure. New accommodations were added to the hotel, including suite rooms with private baths facing East Exchange. Other hotel amenities included two or more community baths on each floor, ceiling fans in every room, and heat in the winter provided by steam from the boilers in the basement.
In 1982 Marshall Young and Tom Yater acquired the building with a dream for the hotel not unlike Colonel Thannisch's 75 years earlier. Young and Yater spent two years engineering a complete restoration of the building and in April 1984 they reopened the Stockyards Hotel in a style befitting the former glory days of the Texas Cattlemen.
The Stockyards Hotel was acquired by a public company in 1996 and then by a group of local investors led by Robert H. McLean. The current ownership has committed significant resources to ensuring that our guests enjoy an extraordinary experience in western elegance, comfort and Texas-sized friendliness. We look forward to sharing this magnificent piece of history with you.